If you need a quiet, private, and eco-friendly Texas retreat, Living Waters on Lake Travis is the perfect place to enjoy nature with comfort.
Just a little under 2 hours from San Antonio, Texas, Living Waters is a small private property situated on Lake Travis in Spicewood, Texas. The entire waterfront property has 8 eco-friendly bungalows ranging from a large luxury home, to small glamp-style tents. Living Waters provide quests with the intent to rest and heal spiritually, mentally, and physically. They have a large yoga pavillion for anyone to use and a floating cabin on the lake where you can enjoy the quieter side of Lake Travis.
We decided to stay at the Firefly Room. At night, you can enjoy the soft-lit mason jars hanging from the trees, reminiscent of fireflies—hence the name, The Firely Room. As beautiful as the other bungalows are, we wanted a place that was more close to a natural outdoor experience. It is a quaint safari tent with everything you need to enjoy nature and be comfortable. This bungalow was also the closest to the lake, so you literally have a lake-side view from your balcony where you can witness the stunning sunrise and sunset over the lake! What got my fiancee excited was that it had a guitar included! Now, they totally understand how to unwind and chill!
WHAT TO EXPECT IN THE FIREFLY ROOM
You can either call or reserve online. You will be emailed of your confirmation. They will also send another email on what to expect during your stay a few days before your arrival. There is no official “check-in” or “check-out.” You just show up and leave. They do have a strict 11am check-out policy.
IS IT HOT?
The Firefly Room is an eco-friendly safari tent equipped with an eco-friendly air conditioner and indoor fans to keep your tent cool during the Texas Summer heat. When we arrived, we thought it was going to be hot and musky in the tent, but it was not! The tent is properly insulated, so it surprsing stays very cool in the tent. In addition to that, the tent is surrounded by trees, so it’s also very shady.
This Texas Retreat is a safari-style, canvas-walled tent propped up along the waterfront of Travis lake. It is elevated on a small incline with small stairs leading up to the tent and an entry-way balcony. The tent itself has a dual-layer zipper-entrance enhacing the insulation and also preventing bugs from entering the tent. This area of the property is also exclusively just for you, so it’s spacious and private for YOUR use only!
ARE THERE A LOT OF BUGS?
Surprisingly, NO! I AM FOR REALSSS. So, if you’re a little skittish about bugs, don’t fret! I actually did not see a single bug inside the tent. There MIGHT have been some, to be honest, it’s a tent, but I did not see any. They spray around the elevated deck frequently and have done a great job sealing the tent. It is also very clean inside! The wooden floors inside the tent is so clean that I actually wanted to remove my shoes before entering.
- Private electric grill
- Keurig, k-cups
- Electric kettle, coffee, tea
- A basket of a lot of snacks and water bottles
- Disposable plates, bowls, and utensils
- paper towels
- hand sanitizer
- Kingsize bed
- large floor mirror
- phone chargers
- Air conditioner
The bathroom is an outdoor private area for YOUR use only. It’s an elevated wooden deck with a portable toilet. When you think of portable toilet, you think of stinky and dirty, but NOT HERE! It’s very clean and it actually smells quite nice inside. It is serviced regularly and displays a log for your information. It seems that they service it right before your arrival. The shower is outdoor and has hot water with body soap, shampoo, and conditioner included. There is a small sink with running water right next to the shower. At first sight, you might feel a little exposed showering outdoors, but you’ll get used to it. No one really passes by because the entire lower-most level of the property is private for YOU. However, if you do feel exposed, you can always hang your towel on the string lights for more privacy or shower with a bathing suit on. The best part about this is, you can shower under the stars!
THE FLOATING CABIN
The Floating Cabin is a recreational area for everyone in the property free to use. It is situated on the lake. It also has a covered dock for guests who have a boat free of charge to use. Let management know you have a boat to dock so they can make the necessary arrangements for you. The floating cabin is air conditioned with a cozy couch inside. There is a small kitchen countertop with microwave and sink. Included in the cabin are water toys free to use for your enjoyment in the water. The large outdoor deck have patio chairs and tables, a great place to enjoy your morning cup of coffee with the quiet sounds of the water. Please remember to keep the cabin clean and remove all trash before leaving.
The large yoga pavillion is spacious and also a great common area if you need some peace and quiet. It is located right behind the FireFly Room.
- Private chef – contact them in advance
- Massage – check here for more info and pricing
- Yoga – check here for more info and pricing
BEFORE YOU GO
Although the Firefly Room has almost everything you would find in a hotel, here are a few tips when planning to stay in The Firefly Room.
- Check the weather – It is a canvas-walled tent, so check the local weather to see if there will be any hindrance to your stay.
- Bring a cooler – I say this because there are many places around the area to enjoy lakeside and boat riding. If you decide to just stay in the tent the entire time, there is a refrigerator, but if you want to explore and hang out near the lake elsewhere, a cooler is always great to lug around.
- Comfortable shoes – The private area surround the tent can be a little rugged and rocky, especially heading down to the lake.
- Waterproof slippers – I say this because the bathroom and showers is outdoors. I also wear my slippers when I shower and wear them on my way back to the tent.
- Bring a bathing suit – this can help with two ways: if you want to use it while you take a shower in their outdoor shower (which is private, but some may still feel exposed), and also to swim in the lake! I’d take two different suits, because if you use it to cover yourself while you shower, it’s best to shower with a clean suit than in a dirty suit.
- Mosquito repellant – Inside the tent is virtually bug-free, but outside the tent, you might encounter some mosquitoes while you’re chilling in the patio.
- Picnic-food – There is a good variety of snacks provided, but you can also bring your own. There is a microwave and fridge. You can either eat out, or heat your own food. Microwavable meals are ideal and other picnic-style food. There is also a private electric grill.
- Groceries – plan ahead, because the nearest grocery store is 30 minutes away.
Overall, this was one of the best glamping experiences I’ve had, maybe because during our stay here, I got engaged!
Thank you Living Waters for a memorable, quiet, and romantic getaway.
For more info about The Firefly Room and the other bungalows, click here
Check out more of my glamping travels and stays HERE